Our Story

History of St. Paul's

1886 Articles of Incorporation were filed at the Courthouse on December 4, 1886. St. Paul's became the first English speaking congregation in Red Wing -- thereby passing on the faith to the next generation in the native tongue of their new country.

St. Paul's has grown from a founding congregation of 25 to the present 1,800. The financial report after the first year listed receipts of $86.76 and $86.33, leaving a balance of $ .43. It has grown from an infant congregation without a home to the owners of a complete 1/2 block of property and the beautiful structure where we meet today -- a remarkable story of faith and vision. Nine pastors have come out of the membership of St. Paul's.

1891 Purchased and moved a small wooden chapel from West Red Wing to the site.

1927  Dedicated the main building constructed at a cost of $75,000, less furnishings. At the time, the congregation had a total membership of 500, yet they built for 1,500. Original windows were of opaque glass. Altar stained glass window was partly paid for by Sunday School children. Built in Munich,Germany, it was originally constructed there, then taken apart, shipped to Red Wing, and reassembled here.

1931  At the annual meeting, the women were given the right to vote.

1953  Purchased the Boy Scout Pharm, 111 acres south of Red Wing and just north of the Minnesota Memorial Hardwood State Forest, for a total of $485.00.

1997  Removed the houses and constructed a new education/office addition.

2006  St. Paul's became one of a few congregations in the SE Minnesota Synod to adopt the Reconciling in Christ (now ReconcilingWorks) commitment.


1886-1889 Pastor G.H. Trabert, D.D.  
1889-1892 Pastor C.B. Lindtwed
1893-1895 Pastor A. Steimle, D.D.    
1896-1901 Pastor J.A. Leas, D.D.
1901-1911 Pastor A.J. Reichert
1912-1913 Pastor I. Whitman
1913-1922 Pastor C.C. Roth
1923-1927 Pastor E.J. Wackernagel
1928-1942 Pastor E.F. Marker
1942-1949 Pastor R.B. Reed
1949-1953 Pastor Robert P. Roth
1953-1966 Pastor R.V. Hansen
1966-1969 Pastor James A. Nelson
1970-1986 Pastor Eugene Hasselquist
1972-1982 Pastor Richard Hane
1982-1983 Pastor Dennis Peterson
1984-1985 Pastor Kenneth E. Meehan
1985-1986 Pastor Richard Lund
1987-1992 Pastor Gary Cumings
1992-2000 Pastor William Eisenmann
1993-2000 Pastor Marian Eisenmann
2001-2004 Pastor Steve Berkeland
2017 - Present
Pastor Jon Becker
Pastor Kristen Schlauderaff
Pastor Dana Jackson









Above: St. Paul's Stained Glass Windows


Below: St. Paul's View from West Avenuehttps://unite-production.s3.amazonaws.com/tenants/stpaulsredwing/pictures/1834/glass2-18.jpg